Apply for 2018
Admission period for the New Normal 2017/18 programme is now closed.
Who Can Apply?
The Institute’s multidisciplinary programme is aimed at young professionals from Russia and abroad with backgrounds and work experience in the fields of architecture, urbanism, digital media, interactive design, computer technologies, social studies, and other fields.
Applicants to the programme need to have a higher education diploma (any specialisation) and no less than 2 years of work experience. When reviewing applications, we focus on how a potential student can apply his/her expertise to the research agenda of the Programme which is traditionally centered around The City and urban design.
- higher education degree
- 2-3 years of work experience
- fluency in English
- age: 25 to 35 (exceptions permitted)
- high level of motivation and self-organisation
Application fee is 500 roubles
- completed online application form
- portfolio (PDF, not exceeding a total of 10 pages) *
- English language proficiency certificate (for non-native speakers): IELTS Academic — 6.5, TOEFL — 85
- copy of a university diploma
- letter of recommendation from a former employer/research advisor/internship supervisor
- passport scan
* Your portfolio should contain examples of projects and/or research work completed in the last few years and demonstrate your skills and expertise as well as interest in urban research agenda.
What kind of degree will I receive upon completing the program?
- Participants receive certificates issued by the Institute, which confirm completion of the Education Program. Strelka Institute does not award state-recognized degrees.
What is the tuition fee for Strelka Institute’s program and does the Institute provide a stipend?
- There are no tuition fees. Education at Strelka Institute is free. All students receive a monthly stipend.
Can I apply to Strelka if my English is not very good?
- The working language of the programme is English; all workshops and projects are run in English, so fluency in English is essential.
- We accept IELTS Academic score of at least 6.5 or TOEFL iBT score of at least 85.
I studied at a university where all the courses were taught in English. Do I still have to present an English proficiency certificate?
- If you have a degree awarded for a program completed in English you do not need to present a certificate of English language proficiency.
- You are also not required to take the TOEFL / IELTS test if you have a degree in linguistics/ philology or translation/ interpretation with an all round mark in English that is no less than 4 (on a 5-point scale) on your transcript.
Is the program full-time?
- The program at Strelka Institute is full-time. During the week classes run from 10:00-20:00 with additional workshops on Saturdays.
It is possible to combine work with studying at Strelka?
- The program at Strelka Institute is very fast-paced and intensive and requires full commitment throughout the duration of the program, therefore we strongly urge students not to combine work with studying.
Does the institute provide accommodation?
- Strelka Institute does not provide accommodation for students. The Institute provides help with information on where and how best to look for accommodation in Moscow.
Are there any significant program related costs I will need to cover?
- Strelka Institute provides a monthly stipend to you to cover most of your living expenses. Apart from personal living expenses, there are no costs related the program for you to cover. The costs of any field trips as part of the program will be covered by the Institute.
Can I apply to Strelka if I am not an architect or designer?
- You do not have to be an architect or a designer to study at Strelka Institute. The program is multidisciplinary, and we accept applicants with backgrounds in journalism, sociology, economics, cultural studies, and other professional fields.
How strict is the age requirement?
- If you are slightly younger/older than the stated age requirement, but you have a bachelors and/or masters degree and no less than 3 years of work experience, your application will be considered.
Where do I find more information about the Program?
- We encourage you to stay tuned for news and updates with regards to the Program, which will be realeased by the Institute during the admission cycle. If you have any specific questions, please contact the Admissions Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Will there be a vacation period during the Program?
- No, there are no vacation periods included in the Program. Please do not make travel arrangements during the Program.
Does the Program take place at the Insitute or somewhere else?
- Most of the scheduled acitviites and group work take place at Strelka Institute.
Is it necessary to attend the Institute every day to participate in the Program? Can I participate in some activites remotely?
- Strelka students have daily activities at the Institute. Full participation and attendance of all activities is critical for the Program, and therefore compulsory.